As mentioned in last week’s post about taking my books off Amazon, many companies are financially backing destructive and anti-Christian organizations. So the topic of this promised post is to show how we can impact the world for better.
Let me quickly express my gratitude for the prayers and the outpouring of support and encouragement after my decision. I’m so thankful to you all, and God has used you in my life this past week. An astounding number of you commented on last week’s post, and many of you encouraged me to take time to refresh and regroup. God granted us three beautiful weather days this week. I spent them outdoors, working on farm/garden chores, and spending time with our Lord. What a difference that has made! :)
Before We Discuss How to Impact the World For Better…
…I feel the need to clarify a few things, just so people know where I’m coming from in writing this post.
- We need to continue to hate the sin and love the sinner. This involves praying for and reaching out to others, no matter their particular brand of sin (Luke 6:28; Matthew 28:18-20). The Bible makes it clear that we are ALL sinners by nature (Romans 3:9-18). Apart from the saving work of Christ accepted through faith, none of us are righteous (2 Corinthians 5:21). The writing of this post in no way indicates that I hate other people. Instead I hate the lies of the enemy that people have bought hook, line, and sinker. It’s my responsibility to lovingly do what I can to combat these lies, even at personal cost and inconvenience.
- While I do hold certain political beliefs, this post isn’t motivated by politics for me. Instead it’s based on hopefully living in a way that glorifies God and acts in the best interest of others.
- I never want others to think that I espouse obedience to God as a means of earning salvation. Never! We’re not obedient to gain salvation (a works-based viewpoint), but we’re obedient because we’re saved (a faith-based perspective).
Impact the World for Better – Pray
For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. -2 Corinthians 2:3-5 (NIV)
God’s Word calls us to be people of prayer, and prayer is one of our spiritual weapons (Ephesians 6:10-20).
I know it might go without saying, but I hope (and pray!) that each of us humbly seek God and ask for His guidance in making decisions based on the following information. Please don’t make a decision based on what I do. Instead take the information presented in this post and make it a matter of prayer between you and the Lord.
We can impact the world for better through our prayers. I believe we saw that firsthand through the 2016 Decision America tour organized by Franklin Graham and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. Thousands of believers across the country joined together in prayer for America. The Lord heard our prayers and responded!
But we are far from through! We need to keep pounding heaven’s doors on behalf of our world and our leaders.
Impact the World for Better – Vote With Your Dollars
During my internet search to uncover businesses/companies/organizations that are funding the LGBT movement and Planned Parenthood/abortion, I came across a website that scores companies on several issues, the most important of which (IMHO) are marriage, life, and religious liberties. That website is https://2ndvote.com/company-scores.
Each company is graded on a scale of 1 to 5 on these various issues, based on their support/non-support of various organizations and agendas.
I urge you to do the following:
- Check out the companies with which you currently do business. If they support things that are contrary to God’s Word, prayerfully consider moving all or most of your business to other companies that don’t support those things.
- Do further internet research to check on the accuracy of information. There is a LOT of misinformation out there. But if you find several sites that reveal the same information, there is a good chance that it’s true.
- Even be careful what non-profit organizations you support. For example, I wasn’t aware that the Susan G. Komen Foundation supports Planned Parenthood. I also wasn’t aware that March of Dimes and United Way do the same.
- Don’t assume that older companies (many of which once espoused biblical views) are safe. Disney is set to re-release Beauty & the Beast with a ‘gay moment.’ They also support same-sex marriage and abortion. (See Franklin Graham’s Facebook post on this movie.)
- Watch out for technology companies, including search engines, phone/internet providers, social media sites, computer/software manufacturers, television/movie companies, satellite television providers, etc. Many of these give tons of support to ungodly agendas.
- If you’re business-minded and can’t find a godly alternative, please pray about creating businesses that create that godly alternative.
Voting with our dollars is an effective way to combat evil agendas. Target, after jumping on the transgender bathroom band wagon, has seen a steady drop in their stock price.
To Take Into Consideration:
During my research of these companies on the 2ndVote website, I noticed that many companies fund both pro-choice and pro-life, both same-sex and traditional marriage. This brings up a lot of questions for me. Are these businesses intentionally straddling the fence for financial gain? Are they hoping that one will offset the other? Definitely a matter of prayer!
I can’t help but wonder if some of the companies are unaware that the non-profits they financially support have ties to the LGBT and abortion rights communities. Yet another matter of prayer, as well as possibly contacting those companies to see if they’re aware.
Upon further study, you’ll notice that many of the companies listed on the 2ndVote website show no record of what they support. Again, make it a matter of prayer. Companies that support God’s definition of marriage and life deserve our business!
The bottom line is that companies have the right to do what they want with their money. BUT we have the right, and more importantly the responsibility, to be good stewards of the resources God has given us. I think this involves spending our money in a way that best honors and glorifies Him.
Impact the World For Better – Vote With Your Remote Control
My generation has grown up in the entertainment culture. We’ve also seen it decline in moral values over the years.
In addition to voting with our dollars, we’re also voting with our remotes. I refuse to watch any programming (or television commercials!) that promote a lifestyle contrary to the life Christ died to give us.
Update & Wrap-Up
I continue to work on getting the Miller’s Creek novels and LifeSword Bible studies & devotionals reworked and back on various internet sites. Right now, the only eBook available online is TEXAS ROADS (the first book in the Miller’s Creek novels). It is currently showing up at 99-cents on Amazon (the lowest price Amazon will allow), but this will change to free once I make it free on other sites and then contact Amazon, who will match the lowest price available online.
I do have a few autographed print copies of my fiction available (and can get more as needed). For those interested, you can find out more here: http://www.catbryant.com/books-2/autographed-print-novels/
Praying this post is helpful to you. I also pray that through our prayers, how we spend our money, and what we choose as entertainment, we can impact the world for better and glorify God.
Latest posts by Cathy Bryant (see all)
- Please Pray For Carter (Plus Book News and More!) - March 16, 2017
- Actually Impact the World for Better When You Shop - March 10, 2017
- Why I Removed My Books From Amazon - March 2, 2017